This was a quick one that I threw together one day when I wanted to make some Spanish rice to go with tamales. I looked up a few recipes online, but all were using canned tomato sauce and I try not to use canned food if I can avoid it.
I decided to come up with my own version and it was NonNomMonkey tested and hubby approved!
- 1 cup rice (I like using Uncle Ben's)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tomato- chopped/diced (you can have it be chunky or a little finer)
- 3 rings of an onion or 1/4 of an onion diced (best to have these be finer)
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped/diced (if you want more of a hint I would dice rather than just chopping)
- 2 tbsp meyer olive oil seperated (if you dont have this, you can use two tbsp olive oil seperated and either squeeze in the juice of a full lemon or you can even use a lime or lime/lemon juice, be sure to seperate -this means cut the lemon in half. Anything you have on hand to give this some tang)
- 1 1/4 tbsp chilli powder
- salt and pepper to taste
First, you want to put on of the tbsp of the lemon olive oil, onion, garlic, tomato and chilli powder into a saucepan on medium-high heat, stirring constantly until onions start to look a little softer, and you can really start smelling the mixture. (This should be roughly 3-4 min) remove from heat. **If you used a fresh lemon, you will have squeezed half the lemon in for this step
Next, add rice and water and the additional tbsp of olive oil (and 2nd half of squeezed lemon), mix, place back on burner, reduce heat to low, place lid on top to keep moitsure in and help absorption. You will simmer the rice for roughly 15-20 min. I would check at the 15 mark, mix the rice to check on consistency. My rice took 18 min to make.
Once water has been absorbed, you are all set!
Below is the finished product… this was paired up with some refried beans and tamales from Sprouts. It was a quick and easy meal! or this can be a great side for a pot luck!