Welcome to the first official post of NOMNOMMONKEY! I am super excited to get started!
Growing up, both my parents worked full time, and I have been making my lunch since I was old enough to walk to and from school on my own. My mom wasn’t and still is not big on cooking, and my dad’s view was that it was a part of survival.
Over the course of time, I have become creative with different things to pack for lunch, or meals to make that are both easy and tasty. With us all being busy, families, careers, etc, good and fast has become essential.
To start things off, let’s talk chicken salad! I ALWAYS keep canned chicken (preferred Kirkland brand, but store brand will work) for easy and quick chicken salad sandwiches. The chicken salad is also great on crackers or by itself depending on your health needs.
You will need:
- Kirkland canned chicken (12.5oz) Qty. 2
- 1 cup craisins (I LOVE CRAISINS, so you can go with 1/2 a cup if you are not as crazy about the craisins )
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1 lime
- 4 tbsp mayo
- 2 tbsp mustard (whatever you have on hand, but i would avoid any with horseradish)
- salt and pepper to taste
- mixing bowl
- (if you have celery, feel free to chop up 1/2 a cup)
- Open cans of chicken, drain
- put the drained chicken into a mixing bowl
- crush and mix around chicken so that all chunks are opened up
- mix in the mayo and mustard. If you like a little extra mayo to make it creamier, feel free to add a little more
- mix in the craisins, and almonds (and your 1/2 celery if you have any on hand)
- squeeze in the lime, a full one gives it more zest while half gives it a hint of extra flavor
- sprinkle in salt and pepper to taste.
This usually doesn’t stay in our fridge longer than 3 days with lunches and the occasional snack.
Enjoy and happy eating!